[ale] can't connect to X / can't auto connect nfs

Jason Day jasonday at worldnet.att.net
Tue Feb 25 11:16:18 EST 2003

On Tue, Feb 25, 2003 at 10:22:20AM -0500, cfowler wrote:
> On Tue, 2003-02-25 at 10:12, Jason Day wrote:
> > On Tue, Feb 25, 2003 at 09:35:48AM -0500, cfowler wrote:
[snip]
> > > 1) On the box that has the ssh client, issue command 'xhost +'
> >
> > Besides being a security risk, this is unnecessary.  SSH will forward
> > the user's xauth cookie (normally contained in the file
> > $HOME/.Xauthority) when the user connects to the remote host.  This
> > requires that the ssh client machine is using xauth (most recent distros
> > do) and that the sshd process on the server machine can find the xauth
> > executable.
>
> Not on Cygwin.  xhost +<remote> is required.

What X server?  Is this documented behavior with cygwin?  Do you also
have to set the DISPLAY variable on the remote?  If so, then the X
traffic is not being tunneled through ssh; you might as well use telnet.

It's been a while since I was forced to use w2k, but I don't remember
having to use xhost with cygwin+OpenSSH+XFree86.

    -- Weyoun-6, Star Trek: Deep Space 9