[ale] can't connect to X / can't auto connect nfs

Jason Day jasonday at worldnet.att.net
Tue Feb 25 10:12:02 EST 2003

On Tue, Feb 25, 2003 at 09:35:48AM -0500, cfowler wrote:
> On Mon, 2003-02-24 at 21:54, ChangingLINKS.com wrote:
> > 1. I am very used to sshing to another box, and then running programs.
> > Unfortunately, I have never been able to get it to work between my Suse box
> > and the other boxes. When I try to run a program this way, it says "can't
> > connect to X" as if I am a different user or something.
>
> 1) On the box that has the ssh client, issue command 'xhost +'

Besides being a security risk, this is unnecessary.  SSH will forward
the user's xauth cookie (normally contained in the file
$HOME/.Xauthority) when the user connects to the remote host.  This
requires that the ssh client machine is using xauth (most recent distros
do) and that the sshd process on the server machine can find the xauth
executable.

> 2) When sshing to remote use 'ssh -CX2 user at remote'
>
> Once you get logged in, type xterm and see if you get and xterm on your
> desktop

If you don't, try this:
   ssh -v -v -v user at remote

This will print out lots of ugly debug information.  You should see that
it's trying to forward X in there, as well as any errors.

Jason

    -- Weyoun-6, Star Trek: Deep Space 9