[ale] Lindows vs the semi-annual Windows suck-a-thon

ChangingLINKS.com x3 at ChangingLINKS.com
Mon Feb 24 20:20:22 EST 2003

On Monday 24 February 2003 6:32 pm, cfowler wrote:
> I've allways speculated on why the assembly of OS programs into a
> distrubution can be freely downloaded.  In the case of RedHat,  I firmly
> believe that anyone should be able to download any package that is OSS on
> its distribution free of charge.  However, the assembly of that software
> into what we call RH 8.0 should be paid for.
>
> I'm guilty like most of just downloading from the website and doing my own
> support.  I've only purchased one version of RH and I think that was 4.2
> and I also bought the CDE development kit.
>
> So I think Lindows has the right to do what they do.  The ought to make the
> software like ssh, init, binutils, gcc, and etc. aavailable to those who
> want them but we should pay for the product called "Lindows" itself.
>
> I believe that RH may be smart and start selling its disti and not allowing
> it to be freely downloaded anymore.  I give them total support for this if
> they did it. I believe SuSe does it since I've not been able to find the
> latest and greates iso available for free.

Nah. I know that you can download Suse for free. I installed using an 18MB CD
that downloaded the rest durning installation.

Drew

RH will just wait till it gets
> a good solid userbase.  Like MS not going after people who pirate until
> they get a big userbase.
>
> Chris
>
> On 12/31/1969, "Greg" <runman at speedfactory.net> wrote:
> >Exactly.  I posted before my research.  Of course, CodeWeavers did leave
> >them since Lindows didn't want to share, and many members of the open
>
> source
>
> >community don't like the way Lindows operates - especially since 99% of
> >their system is from open source to begin with and they haven't played
> > nice with everyone else in the sandbox by sharing code.
> >
> >Greg

Drew Brown
http://www.ChangingLINKS.com