[ale] Lindows vs the semi-annual Windows suck-a-thon

Tim LaCroix cheese4all at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 24 15:15:02 EST 2003

Hey, I just joined your list, I am in Savannah, and am
working on getting my LPI, have a CCNA, and am a
relative newbie, but have played with various distros.

I personally loved the heck out of my Suse 7.3 which
seemed to detect everything on install, it was a great
and wonderous install (getting my cable modem up
without any work on my part) Then I decided that I
wanted to try 8.0, and I really didn't like it as
much, it refused to accept my mouse and frustratedly I
moved into Red Hat 8.0, which I love.

Red Hat has a new RPM installer that works by simply
clicking on a rpm package I downloaded. It configured
my cable modem without me having to mess with it, I
had to manually mount my fat32 directory full of mp3's
through fstab, (and then patch the thing since XMMS
doesn't come with mp3 support) But all in all, it is
shiny, easy to use and makes me pretty happy. I am
able to now go and mess with the bash shell to learn
the finer points of the [] switch with a redirect
while still having a translucent term window to work
in.

You can even go to www.kde-look.org and pretty it up
(or install some stuff to make it look like windows.)

I have not messed with Lindows, but I hear that
Licoris is kinda like windows (shrug)

-Tim LaCroix