[ale] xine/dma

Michael D. Hirsch mhirsch at nubridges.com
Mon Feb 24 14:08:27 EST 2003

On Monday 24 February 2003 01:49 am, Sean Kilpatrick wrote:

> On Monday 24 February 2003 08:07 pm, Michael D. Hirsch wrote:
> > Can you post a transcript?  What you are doing sounds right, so maybe
> > you are doing something subtly wrong.  Please post transcript and
> > include things like "whoc am i" and "ls -l /dev/hda".

Sorry, that should have been "who am i" just to make sure you are really
root.

> Michael,
> Let me add a bit more data.
> RedHat 8.0; kernel: 2.4.18-24.8.0
> Two hard drives on EIDE controller0 (hda & hdb)
> CD/DVD reader(hdc) on second EIDE controller1 along with a zip drive.
>
> Have checked BIOS and there is no way to set/change dma status there.
>
> Here's what I get when I run the correct command:
>
> [root at localhost kilpatms]# hdparm -d1 /dev/hdc
>
> /dev/hdc:
>  setting using_dma to 1 (on)
>  HDIO_SET_DMA failed: Operation not permitted
>  using_dma    =  0 (off)

Like Danny said, this doesn't look like a permissions problems, but rather
you EIDE controller saying "no!"  I'm sorry, but I don't know why unless
it can't do that.

> Note the command is issued from a root shell.
>
> Here is the result of ls -l:
>
> [root at localhost kilpatms]# ls -l /dev/hdc
> brw-------    1 kilpatms disk      22,   0 Aug 31 04:31 /dev/hdc

Those are interesting permissions.  Are those normal for SuSE?  Here's what
I get on RedHat:

[1000] hirsch>ls -l /dev/hda
brw-rw----    1 root     disk       3,   0 Aug 30 19:31 /dev/hda

Sorry not to be much help,