[ale] nfs & collisions

Robert E. Karaffa, II rkaraff at emory.edu
Mon Feb 24 11:40:16 EST 2003

hi folks,
    I'm reconfiguring my home LAN to switch to nfs almost exclusively
(rather than appleshare/appletalk although that capability will still
exist).  I was using a mandrake 8.2 box for multimedia sharing via nfs
mounts to my Audreys (QNX).  the audreys have mp3 player software and do a
quite nice job of acting as little jukebox front ends.  the mandrake box was
the storage facility for mp3s, but I've since begun to switch to an old Mac
7300/200 w/G3 upgrade running OS 10.2.4.  I'm transferring all the mp3s
(over 19Gb) from the mandrake box to the Mac and am noticing a lot of
collisions on my network.  the transfer is estimated by the Mac to take 31
hours or so.  is that right?  I am pretty sure I've got my hubs (4 of them)
cascaded in the proper sequence (otherwise, the LAN wouldn't function,
correct?).  I've done some sleuthing on the net but haven't found anything
that helps yet.  I'm doing the transfer via nfs.  FTP faster?  any ideas are
greatly appreciated!

-Bob K.
--
Robert E. Karaffa, II