[ale] Re:Can't boot after compiling Kernel

Christopher Ness mness215 at attbi.com
Sun Feb 23 10:43:32 EST 2003

On Sunday 23 February 2003 10:10 am, Jason Day wrote:
> > Then I boot from the floppy boot image I made with the command "make
> > bzdisk". If the floppy disk works and the machine boots and behaves
> > properly, I then run the command "make install".
>
> If you have something like this in /etc/lilo.conf:
>
> image=/vmlinuz
>         label=Linux
>         read-only
>
> image=/vmlinuz.old
>         label=Last
>         read-only
>
> Then you can do a "make bzlilo", which will copy /vmlinuz to
> /vmlinuz.old, copy the new kernel to /vmlinuz, and run lilo.  If the new
> kernel doesn't work, just reboot and pick "Last" from lilo.  Much easier
> than using a floppy.

I add one more other than the one that making the kernel automatically
overwrites. This is a kernel that I was happy with and feel confident going
back to. I learned this when a bad compile didn't work and I unthinkingly
tried again.

image = /boot/vmlinuz.safe
root = /dev/hda1
label = Linux.safe

If you are happy with your current kernel just make a copy (don't link
obviously) and call it vmlinuz.safe, and at the very least you can always get
back to here again.

--
Chris Ness
mailto:cness at earthlink.net               All jobs are equally easy to