[ale] Re:Can't boot after compiling Kernel

Jason Day jasonday at worldnet.att.net
Sun Feb 23 10:10:16 EST 2003

On Sat, Feb 22, 2003 at 11:18:54AM -0800, Marvin Dickens wrote:
> Running the command "make install" prior to test booting the kernel off of a
> floppy diskette can be  dangerous. The way I do it is as follows:
>
> make mrproper

Do you really make mrproper every time?  Do you save your kernel config
somewhere first?

> make xconfig
> make bzImage
> make bzdisk
> make modules
> make modules_install
>
> Then I boot from the floppy boot image I made with the command "make bzdisk".
> If the floppy disk works and the machine boots and behaves properly, I then
> run the command "make install".

If you have something like this in /etc/lilo.conf:

image=/vmlinuz
        label=Linux
        read-only

image=/vmlinuz.old
        label=Last
        read-only

Then you can do a "make bzlilo", which will copy /vmlinuz to
/vmlinuz.old, copy the new kernel to /vmlinuz, and run lilo.  If the new
kernel doesn't work, just reboot and pick "Last" from lilo.  Much easier
than using a floppy.

Jason

    -- Weyoun-6, Star Trek: Deep Space 9