[ale] Re: "Nigerians" profit

ChangingLINKS.com x3 at ChangingLINKS.com
Sun Feb 23 04:19:59 EST 2003

The other day I posted that I wondered if the scam emails made any money, I
found this article in an email from Bigfoot.com:

Nigerian "Urgent and Confidential" Scams Still Flourishing

Voted as one of the "most annoying" SPAM in 2002, the Nigerian scam
continues to flourish despite continued efforts to crack down on the
schemes.

This particular breed of e-mail SPAM still manages to defraud the
gullible. A Wisconsin businessman gave $200,000 to a New York couple
claiming ties to the Nigerian government in response to their e-mail
plea for help to pay fees for transferring $50 million from Nigerian
banks. Instead of a percentage of the $50 million the couple promised,
they gave him a trunk filled with worthless black paper.

The Secret Service, which has a task force dedicated to Nigerian e-mail
scams, estimates that Americans have lost hundreds of millions of
dollars on them. As soon as one group of suspects is arrested, others
spring up elsewhere, often on other continents, law-enforcement
officials said.

Nigerian scams aren't even completely Nigerian as some "Nigerian"
e-mails have been traced to other countries in Africa and Asia.

The scams also have become an annoyance for the Nigerian government.

"We see that it has a very bad image for Nigeria," said Volaji Adebiyi,
deputy information attache for the Nigerian Embassy. "It's so very,
very unfair."

Source: The Washington Times

Drew Brown
http://www.ChangingLINKS.com