[ale] Linux RH 7.2 - APC UPS BF350U - Kernel 2.3.34

Steve Nicholas syssfn at circe.gsu.edu
Sun Feb 23 00:21:36 EST 2003

Hello Ale,
First, I must claim the UPS path is a new undertaking.  I'm claim
"Dumbass" status up front.

I have a 1.8 Gb PIV, 512 MB Ram, 6 USB ports and other stuff.  I have a
APC BF350U UPS connected to the pc with a UBS cable.  I'm trying to
configure the parachute software to work.  This is a dual boot system, and
it worked out of the box for winblows 2k :-(

The Subject give you some info as to what I'm running.  I run a custom
kernel and have recompiled it to include usb support including the
following:

ACPI Support
Power Mgmt Support
ACPI debug Statements
Advanced Power Mgmt BIOS
ACPI Bus Manager (and everything below it)

Support for USB
USB Verbose msgs
Large report fetching for broken devices (some APC UPSes)

I've looked at the APC docs and the software installed correctly.
The problem crops up that the setup program can't find stty0 when
searching for the UPS.  Looking at the help in xconfig for usb modems does
not lend a clue.  Doing a search using Google keeps turning up HowTos
dated 1997 and don't address usb connections.

This is not a misson critical procedure, but my latest mission (amoung
others.)  I know I'm missing a key step, but I ca't find docs to assist
me.

If I figure this out, I PROMISE to write a HOWTO  regarding this.

Thanks in advance,

Steve

| Steve Nicholas             |                        |
| Unix System Programmer     |  A risk is not a risk  |
| Georgia State University   |  until it is taken.    |
| snicholas at gsu.edu          |                        |
| 404-651-1062               |  BBROYGBVGW            |