[ale] HOWTO->create "root" floppy for RH6.1, [I have the "boot" floppy]........

Courtney Thomas ccthomas at flash.net
Fri Feb 21 12:24:20 EST 2003

Greetings Again !

First off, the only reason I'm running this OS is Oracle.

When I installed, I was asked did I want a rescue floppy and of course
said yes. Well, upon finally needing it, I find that it asks for a
"root" floppy after loading this boot floppy into ram, which I cannot
write to. So, I am unable to modify any / files.

Will a root floppy enable me to write to the drive and if yes, where can
I get such a critter ?

If no,.....now what ?

The real problem is......... that the system uses a dpt_i2o controller
which is recognized by the rescue floppy, and therefore a root floppy
must be compatible with the existing rescue floppy. But willt this
permit accessing the drive on the dpt_i2o controller ?

If not, then this rescue floppy is worthless or I don't know how to use
it. Hopefully the latter.

If I don't know how to use it, how should I ?

All I need to do is modify lilo.conf or /etc/fstab.

I tried "tomsrtbt" floppy but it doesn't see the dpt_i2o controller.

BTW, I have a floppy with the dpt_i2o driver module on it, but it's from
Adaptec and is not a simple ~.o file loadable with insmod from tomsrtbt
floppy.

Appreciatively,
Courtney