[ale] Inexpensive broadband recommendations

da Black Baron dbaron13 at atl.bellsouth.net
Thu Feb 20 20:29:58 EST 2003

On Mon, 2003-02-17 at 17:29, Geoffrey wrote:
> Douglas Bridges wrote:
> > I am moving back to the Sandy Springs area and I was wondering if people had
> > recommendations for (relatively) inexpensive broadband connections.
>
> You'll probably get a lot of recommendations for Bellsouth, but I'd stay
> away from the local monopoly.  The do pppoe, they are not Linux friendly
> and they are not willing to work with you on different setups.  I've
> been very pleased with Speedfactory and I've been with them for over a
> year now.

This is true- that bellsouth isn't linux-competent. I wouldn't say they
were unfriendly to it, since you get a linux ppoe distro on their
install CD's- just don't expect their tech-support people to be able to
do anything for you.  I haven't found this to be much  of a problem,
since I basically know the ins-and-outs of pppoe on linux and don't
really *need* any tech-geeks at hellsouth teaching me how to use it (the
docs on the CD distro are good enough- and there's always Roaring
Penguin).

Most problems I've had with my bellsouth connection (and those haven't
been many- perhaps 2 episodes in the last 3 years) have been on their
end- and once you convince the tech people that you're competent enough
to know what you're doing on your end, you can generally get them to do
the line-check, etc. on their end which has always resolved whatever
problem I've had with my connection.

"Here's my family tree.  As far as I can tell, my relatives were
carnival folk who were touring this place called Hiroshima in
the summer of 1945.  Because they lost most of their hair, they
mostly married each other.  And here I am"

                                                        (,,oBo,,)
 Wylde Bill                                               ||||

http://mrpooter.sytes.net
wyldechylde at geocities.com