[ale] Interenet connection

Joe jknapka at earthlink.net
Thu Feb 20 08:17:42 EST 2003

"ChangingLINKS.com" <x3 at ChangingLINKS.com> writes:

> On Wednesday 19 February 2003 3:55 pm, cfowler wrote:
> > #1) Make sure the default gqteway is setup
> How? Ok. I was looking for a gQteway file for a while. Ok. I am pretty sure
> that it is a problem with setting up the "gateway."  Where do I put the IP
> for it (tried google and man -k)?

Your DHCP server should set this up. If you have to do it manually,
do "route add default gw <IP address of gateway> metric 1"
at the command line. IMPORTANT: the <IP address of gateway> has
to be the address of the gateway ON YOUR LOCAL LAN, *not* the
address of the gateway interface facing your internet.

I am clue-free about the organization of Redhat's startup
scripts (I'm a Slackware man from way back), but it's
certainly possible to add that command to some script to
make it happen on every boot. But again, I'd say you need
to get DHCP working properly if you really want to resolve
this.

> > #2) Make sure resolv.conf is setup. etc/resolv.conf:
> domain domain.suffix
> nameserver 24.93.40.62
> nameserver  24.93.40.63
> search domain.suffix

Again, if the machine is set up to configure itself via DHCP,
then DHCP should populate resolv.conf automagically. I
assume the name "domain.suffix" has been changed to protect
the innocent? (I bet it's really something like
"austin.rr.com"?)

Are you using a black-box gateway unit (like a Linksys or
something)? Or is your gateway a PC firewall?

Cheers,

-- Joe