[ale] Inexpensive broadband recommendations

Byron A Jeff byron at cc.gatech.edu
Wed Feb 19 20:59:31 EST 2003

> --FL5UXtIhxfXey3p5
>
> On Tue, Feb 18, 2003 at 10:49:35AM -0500, Jason Day wrote:
>
> > Do you have a business account?  Or do you know the right people? ;-)
> > Comcast/AT&T's TOS specifically prohibits using linux.  They also
>
> 	That is just flat out false.
>
> 	They don't SUPPORT Linux but they don't prohibit it.

Right on the mark.

> ...Repeat same processes
> two months later with my son Scott.  When he was having routing problems,
> they were very clear that he was running Linux and he was reporting a
> problem he could pin-point in their network via traceroute.  The AT&T
> NOC call HIM back at the office.  When he reported where the routing
> loop was, they remarked "opps, we missed that one, thanks!"  He still
> has the number for their NOC buried somewhere.  I went through a similar
> process last week when we couldn't reach Slashdot and a couple of
> other sites.  I made it clear to the front line support person that
> I was reporting a routing problem and what the traceroute info was.
> It was pretty damn clear, I wasn't talking Windows.

I had the same experience with a really slow router. Got the phone number
from the telnet interface for the router. Same grateful response from the
folks at the NOC.

Actually I'm happy that they don't try to support Linux. It's just an
extra level of training that the front line folks would have to go through.
Besides I so rarely have technical problems with the cable, that I almost
never call them anyway.

> > prohibit running a server, such as ssh, telnet, ftp, or http.  They also
> > block port 80 inbound, so if you want to be a rebel and run a web
>
> 	Also false.  At least on this segment.  Maybe true on others.

I think my port 80 was blocked after the Code Red attacks. Also I do think
that the wording in the TOS indicates that there's no obligation for them
to support a server from you. I can guarantee that telnet, ftp, ssh are
open.

> 	They do block 139 (but not 445, unfortunately) but those are
> defensive just to keep a hammer on the worms.

Bingo.

> > server, you have to do it on a non-standard port.
>
> 	Some segments have reported this, yes.  I have, as yet, not
> experienced it and I've had no problems with other low ports or any
> VPNs.  I've successfully run CIPE, OpenVPN, SSH, stunnel, IPSec and
> IPv6 SIT without trouble.

I highly recommend Comcast if you can get it.

BAJ