[ale] Quick And Dirty Tunnel

cfowler cfowler at outpostsentinel.com
Wed Feb 19 12:15:43 EST 2003

I had a need to create a simple tunnel between two hosts then run ppp
through that tunnel.  Fairly simple concept but I ended up writing a
whole pty library interface so I could reuse it in our projects.

To run in server mode:

qtd -s -i 0.0.0.0 -n 192.168.3.5:192.168.3.4 -p 10005 -d

To run a client to connect to that server

qtd -i server.ip.address -p 10005 -d

It seems to be working fine on my end and I've got the two networks
routed.  This is to be considered a plain-text VPN.  I have not got
around to adding blowfish encryption yet.  But it works great.  Requires
ppp to be installed and pppd to be in /usr/sbin/pppd.

This is very alpha version so not much logging is done to syslog by it.
Still check your syslog for any info.

There is no kill code yet. so just do some kills on pppd and qdt to stop
it for now.

Let me know what bugs you run into and I'll fix it.

http://www.linuxiceberg.com/qdt/qdt