[ale] backup setup

Preston Boyington pboyington at netzero.net
Wed Feb 19 11:16:41 EST 2003

Hello Geoffrey,

Wednesday, February 19, 2003, 9:57:32 AM, you wrote:

G> You mentioned 'My Documents' folder, is this on a Linux box or a Windows
G> box?

I am using a Linux box, wife is using a Windows machine.  A Seperate
machine (file server?) will be used to backup wife's MS Office related
material (unfortunately a must for her work).

G> Are you familiar with nfs at all?  If you're dealing with a windows box,
G> then you'll need samba on the linux box in order to mount the 'my
G> documents' folder on the linux box.

Have just got a book on Samba and am learning (albeit slowly).  Wife's
MS machine (98SE) doesn't like initial attempt at our home network and her
dialup service, but that is another story.

G> Let me know if you're still with me okay? :)

Err...yeah... probably will take me a bit to get everything to mesh.

I appreciate the help.  Don't give up on me I will get there.

--
Best regards,
 Preston