[ale] App profilers

Michael D. Hirsch mhirsch at nubridges.com
Wed Feb 19 09:44:39 EST 2003

On Wednesday 19 February 2003 07:11 am, John Wells wrote:
> I'm having a few memory issues with my work machine (1 ghz, 256mb ram)
> due to the large number of apps and java apps I have to run.
>
> I'd like to get an idea of what processes are most resource intensive
> from a CPU and memory point-of-view over a period of time.
>
> Are there any tools available that will run in the background, say, for
> a week, and silently gather statistics about processes running on your
> machine?  Figured I'd ask before I script one up.

I recently discovered that the snmp MIB included as part of RH 8 includes
process information along with a boatload of other info.  I have a
coworker who is working through the MIB and building mrtg scripts to
collect data.

The problem with mrtg is that it is more suited for tracking numbers like
load average, but not lists list the list of running processes.  But it is
a useful proof of concept.  It would be interesting to write some snmp
thing to track processes.  For all I know, Big Brother or OpenNMS already
has something like that.

So I guess my answer to the question you asked is "No".  Hmm.  Why did I
write this?
Michael