[ale] anti-virus and mozilla

Jonathan Rickman jonathan at xcorps.net
Tue Feb 18 21:57:43 EST 2003

On 18 Feb 2003, James P. Kinney III wrote:

> I have a friend who really wants to switch from Microsoft to Linux
> (YAY!!) and is actively in the process of doing so. He still has a win98
> box that is currently used to get email and other non-linux ready
> things. We have Mozilla for windows loaded on it and he really likes. He
> would like to tell Outbreak to go away but we have run into a conundrum.
> Will Norton Anti-virus scan incoming email on Mozilla mail? I sent an
> executable file that I renamed Klez.exe and Norton happily let it
> through Mozmail. Did it scan it and determine it was not Klez? Or did it
> ignore the Mozmail completely?
>
> Inquiring minds want to know. No good answers on Symantec's site yet.

Later versions of NAV have a built in POP3 proxy implementation that scans
the incoming email before it hits the MUA. Not sure about specific MUA
compatability but NAV usually will not trip over a name. It looks at the
sig. It *might* not work with Moz, but it will detect a virus once the
user tries to access the attachment. The Real Time engine will pick up the
virus in the temp file, most of the time as soon as it's written (in most
MUAs this is immediately after receipt).

--
Jonathan Rickman
X Corps Security