[ale] Inexpensive broadband recommendations

John Wells jb at sourceillustrated.com
Tue Feb 18 13:38:58 EST 2003

Geoffrey said:
> No, they don't block any ports.  They do monitor certain ports and if
> you have a lot of data transfer, they'll have a problem with it.  I've
> discussed this with them in the past.  For example, they were perfectly
> happy with my serving my wife's classroom website from my home machine
> in that scenario.

According to their salesman/engineers they do.  I've spoken with two so
far.  Both stated that on the dynamic ip plan (i.e., $49/month), common
ports are blocked and no servers are allowed.

They went on to say that if I wished to run my own server, regardless of
what type it was, I had to go ahead and purchase the static ip plan, which
involves the purchase of the $150 equipment.  I can do without static ip,
as I use dyndns.org, so it'd be nice but not necessary.

If this is not the case, then I'd sure appreciate a contact who can
provide an absolute answer, if you have one.

> There's nothing to stop you from doing the same with speedfactory, and
> they will permit it, whereas, Bellsouth tells you you're not in
> compliance with the TOS if you do so.

Call me noncompliant ;-).

(unless an ale reader happens to be a BS employee, in which case I have no
idea what you're talking about)

John