[ale] Inexpensive broadband recommendations

Geoffrey esoteric at 3times25.net
Tue Feb 18 12:39:49 EST 2003

John Wells wrote:
> It was an FYI, not an IMO.  I use it because it works, and I don't want to
> pay $150 plus and extra $15 a month to speedfactory to get the same level
> of service.

I hadn't checked speedfactory prices lately, so I gave them a call,
here's what they quoted me:

$49/month free internal dsl modem, single computer.
$59/month static ip, multiple computers, external modem ($149.95)

Bellsouth is running a deal 19.95 for the first 3 months, $45/month
after that.  They also require an extra $10 a month for multiple computers.

They give you a free modem (after rebate) for the single computer
solution and it is refurbished. If you go with the multiple computer
solution, they also will charge you $149.95 for the hardware.  So, there
deal doesn't seem that much better then speedfactory.

Not having to deal with Bellsouth and pppoe is worth the extra $5 a
month to me.

I don't know what speakeasy is running these days.

Both Speakeasy and speedfactory are more Linux friendly then Bellsouth.
  PPPOE costs you in overhead and throughput as well.

I would suggest mindspring over Bellsouth, although I don't have that
much information on them either.

Honestly, I'm looking at the best solution as well.  Note, I've not
mentioned Comcast or the various satellite solutions.

Until later: Geoffrey		esoteric at 3times25.net

Think about it...