[ale] Inexpensive broadband recommendations

Jason Day jasonday at worldnet.att.net
Tue Feb 18 10:49:35 EST 2003

On Tue, Feb 18, 2003 at 08:56:25AM -0500, Michael D. Hirsch wrote:
> On Monday 17 February 2003 09:47 pm, Transam wrote:
> > On Mon, Feb 17, 2003 at 03:59:04PM -0500, Mike Lockhart wrote:
> > > I get my cable tv / internet thru comcast for $40 and some change a
> > > month, good service overall too.
> >
> > I suspect that Mike has been fortunate to not have had any problems.  I
> > have and their customer service and competency is (in my opinion) one of
> > the worst I've ever experienced.  If you manage to get beyond the hour
> > plus hold times and get a human, the first question they will ask is
> > "What OS?"
> >
> > Even if you explain that the problem is unrelated, such as "I think you
> > keyed my MAC address wrong during the initial install," they will insist
> > on an answer.  Answer other than "WinBloz" or "Mac", they will hang up.
> >
> > Their service goes out for 48 hours at a time every few months.
>
> Here's another data point: I've used them for about 4 years, now, and never
> had a problem with the service.  The only time I've ever had to deal with
> them was when I change routers and need to provide a new MAC address.
> I've done it by phone and via on line chat and never had a problem with my
> OS.

Do you have a business account?  Or do you know the right people? ;-)

Comcast/AT&T's TOS specifically prohibits using linux.  They also
prohibit running a server, such as ssh, telnet, ftp, or http.  They also
block port 80 inbound, so if you want to be a rebel and run a web
server, you have to do it on a non-standard port.

Jason

    -- Weyoun-6, Star Trek: Deep Space 9