[ale] Inexpensive broadband recommendations

Geoffrey esoteric at 3times25.net
Tue Feb 18 10:16:11 EST 2003

Sean Kilpatrick wrote:

> I have been with MIndspring/Earthlink for years,
<snip>
> So much for the pros.
> The cons are these:
> pppoe and dynamic address unless you spring for another $10 a month
> to get a fixed address.  I believe BellSouth insists you upgrade to
> a business acount for your phone line before they will give you a
> fixed address.  This costs a lot more than $10 a month.

This is true.  To get a static IP with Bellsouth, you have to upgrade
your phone line to a business line, which is pricey,  and then they
charge you more for the dsl per month as well.  I think it was quoted
around $150/month increase once it was all done and said.

Speedfactory does not do pppoe, even on their dynamic connections, so
there's no price increase to go with them and not have the overhead (and
headache) of pppoe.  They do charge a bit more for a static, but I don't
recall the actual price.

Until later: Geoffrey		esoteric at 3times25.net

Think about it...