[ale] Dual NICs

ChangingLINKS.com x3 at ChangingLINKS.com
Tue Feb 18 00:17:02 EST 2003

<start eyeofthetiger.wav>
Hear me roar: Roar!
I 'so' got the bond0 thingy working. I call this configuration "Dual NICs." It
sounds like power, it smells like power, it tastes like power. And, most
importantly, it looks cool! I have both nics attached to the same switch, so I
feel like I have put on of those bigger tail pipes on my 1.8 liter Neon.
Recognize that lots of those tailpipes sell.

Will I have to add liquid cooling to keep the surface tempurature of the nic
cards down? Will my isp throttle me down so the rest of Texas can still use
the
Internet? I am not sure - all I know is now that I got the "Dual NIC"
configuration, if one of my cards goes bad, the other one is still truckin' .
.
. and that means "power!"

I don't know IF I will be able to sleep tonight.
<end eyeofthetiger.wav>

Thanks, Chris for teaching a man to fish.

Drew

On Sunday 16 February 2003 10:14 am, Chris Ricker wrote:
> On Fri, 14 Feb 2003, ChangingLINKS.com wrote:
>
> > I want some of that.
> > I have a software program that helps me do research on the Internet. It
> > bottlenecks 1 nic card, but not my internet connection. The program
currently
> > takes days to run which leaves it vulnerable to lost electricity or other
> > crashes. Currently, if I run the program from 2 boxes (on the same LAN),
it
> > runs the data twice as fast.
> > Will I get "twice" the bandwidth using a bonding driver and 2 nics?
>
> Doubtful. You're almost certainly bottlenecked upstream.
>
> More likely -- you're saturating your CPU
>
> > Since reading this email, I added another nic to my server. It installed
OK,
> > via Kudzu, and it has an ip and can be pinged.
> > I ran ifconfig, and got everything except the "bonding driver"
> > From what I have googled, I have to recompile the kernel?
>
> You shouldn't have to -- RH ships with it enabled
>
> > I created ifcfg-bond0 file in /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts directory
that
> > looks like this:
> >
> > DEVICE=bond0
> > IPADDR=192.168.123.122
> > NETMASK=255.255.255.0
> > NETWORK=192.168.123.0
> > BROADCAST=192.168.231.255
> > ONBOOT=yes
> > BOOTPROTO=none
> > USERCTL=no
>
> okay
>
> > Then when I ran ifconfig,  I got everything to look just like below,
except
> > eth1 has a different IP address than bond0 and eth0.
>
> You need to fix /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth{0,1}
> They should read
>
> DEVICE=eth0 # or eth1, as appropriate
> BOOTPROTO=none
> ONBOOT=yes
> MASTER=bond0
> SLAVE=yes
>

> > How do I test it?
>
> send traffic upstream and measure throughput
>
> pull one of the two cables and make sure you're still transmitting and
> receiving
>
> later,
> chris

Drew Brown