[ale] USB pluging causes instant reset

James P. Kinney III jkinney at localnetsolutions.com
Mon Feb 17 23:18:12 EST 2003

I should have put that in the first rant <doh!>

The mobo is (gag) a pcchips M810 and the case (which I am reasonably
certain is not the blame at this point) is cheap Chinese version of the
no-name brand.

As soon as I punched up M810 into Google and saw "PCChips" in the top 10
returns, my tech/engineer blood turned to ice in my veins. They make
absolute crap hardware. It is truly disposable stuff designed for the
corporate cube farm.

Fortunately, the front mounted USB is not crucial to my needs so I will
disable this one as well and cover the socket area with a "Powered by
Linux" PC button.

On Mon, 2003-02-17 at 22:56, Dow Hurst wrote:
> James,
> For our future sanity, what is the mobo/case combo specifically?  Thanks,
> Dow

> This is the third case I've seen this on. A front mounted USB socket
> seemed like a good idea. But under windows and Linux, plugging in any
> usb device into the front socket while running will cause the box to
> reset. I built 3 of these now (same mobo/case combo) and they all crap
> out. The USB ports on the back are OK. Argh! USB keyboard on a
> firewall/gateway machine means no client access (a very good thing in
> many instances)
>
> I pulled out the socket and the ground lines are all OK. The metal cover
> is grounded as it should be. Stumped. Tired. In search of beer in
> fridge.
http://www.localnetsolutions.com

 This is a digitally signed message part