[ale] that same darn NFS problem SOLVED

Jonathan Rickman jonathan at xcorps.net
Mon Feb 17 16:21:48 EST 2003

On Mon, 17 Feb 2003, Michael D. Hirsch wrote:

> On Monday 17 February 2003 03:20 pm, Jonathan Rickman wrote:
> > On Mon, 17 Feb 2003, Michael D. Hirsch wrote:
> > > So the answer is "No, you don't need to increase your swap, but doing
> > > so may make your system a little more robust under adverse
> > > conditions".  As Jim Kinney said, disk space is cheap, so why not?
> >
> > The real question is, if you're gonna give that much space to swap, why
> > just one partition?
>
> Because I only have one hard disk?  the suggestions below assume that you
> have multiple drives.

Exactly. We need to make a distinction between systems that are likely to
make use of this huge swap space and those systems that can never
reasonably be expected to use it. A laptop with 1GB of RAM probably
doesn't really need 2GB of swap. Think about it. If it has 2GB of swap,
it's because the installer followed the 2 to 1 rule blindly. A system that
has a real need for more than 1GB of swap, probably also has a need for
more than one physical disk, wouldn't you think?

--
Jonathan Rickman
X Corps Security