[ale] apache + mailman CGI assistance please

J.M. Taylor jtaylor at onlinea.com
Mon Feb 17 14:56:54 EST 2003

I'm trying to set up mailman, and it installs fine and gives no errors
when setting up a new mailing list.  Permissions check out OK.  So it
appears to be installed correctly.

I've followed all the instructions for permissions and its odd little
quirks to set it up with apache, and its cgi scripts STILL refuse to run.
Yes, I compiled mailman with the correct GID which was in its default
list, and I recompiled with the numeric GID (instead of group="www").  The
group DOES exist and is the gid for the apache server.

But I get this error invariably:
"Failure to find group name www.  Try adding this group
to your system, or re-run configure, providing an
existing group name with the command line option --with-cgi-gid."

Which is irrelevant in this case -- from the command line the script can
runs fine if I am a user in group www, and gives me a different error msg
if I am not.

There's no errors in my apache error log.  I have my virt host set up
correctly to exec cgi's out of the directory in question.  I have the
permissions set correctly as far as I know, in /mailman/cgi-bin.  Are
there other mailman scripts trying to do things that may not have the
correct permissions?

Can anyone give me other things to try?

Thanks
jenn