[ale] null.null.host oddity

John Wells jb at sourceillustrated.com
Sat Feb 15 10:29:12 EST 2003

I can tell you why you're probably seeing it.  I can't tell you the reason
the entries are there.

First, speedfactory leases bandwidth from BS, iirc.  I see the same
behavior as you on my private network, and I do use BellSouth.

These hostN-null.null.bellsouth.net host names are being returned from
your dns servers.  Since speedfactory uses BellSouth bandwidth, I wonder
if they also pay for the right to use BellSouth's DNS?  I assume this
would have to be (or they use BellSouth's servers for their default
forwards), because BS dns servers block queries from non-bs addresses.

Here's my resolv.conf settings...check yours and see:
nameserver 205.152.37.254
nameserver 205.152.0.5

Anyway, the N in the hostname changes according to the last digit on my
private net ip.  In other words, if I dig -x 172.16.2.1, I'll get a reply
from BellSouth's server of host1-null.null.bellsouth.net.  If I do the
same for 172.16.2.24, I'll get host24-null.null.bellsouth.net.

For whatever reason, BellSouth has set up these dummy entries for private
net address space.  Or, they have it set up to just do a modified dummy
reply for lookups on the private address space. Have no idea why, but
perhaps someone else on the list could add an explanation.

I wouldn't think it's something to worry about.

John