[ale] RH8 "Temporary failure in name resolution"

Kevin Krumwiede kjkrum at comcast.net
Tue Feb 11 05:39:13 EST 2003

I upgraded my home network router to RH8.  Machines behind the router
can resolve hostnames just fine (dhcpd on the router sets them up with
my ISP's DNS servers... haven't set up a cacheing nameserver yet.)
However, programs on the router itself are not able to resolve
hostnames, except for those in /etc/hosts.

I do not think it is my firewall rules.  The first rules in the INPUT,
OUTPUT, and FORWARD chains accept established/related packets, and I
explicitly allowed access to the DNS servers in the OUTPUT chain.
Later, growing a bit frustrated, I changed all the chain policies to
ACCEPT.  No love.  Then I added -j LOGDROP to the end of all of them to
see what's going on.  Nothing was logged.  Apparently no attempt is
being made to transmit packets to the nameserver.

So I guess it's a problem with my resolver configuration.
/etc/resolv.conf contains a 'search' statement with what I guess is the
hostname my ISP has assigned me, and two 'nameserver' statements for the
ISP's nameservers.  /etc/host.conf contains 'order hosts,bind'.

Anything else I should be looking at?

Krum