[ale] Mutt: how to *compose* multipart/alternative?

Fulton Green ale at FultonGreen.com
Fri Feb 14 17:54:05 EST 2003

My IPP has Mutt 1.2.5.1 installed on a Red Hat 7.3 system.  At the outset,
I wish to state that I don't have a problem *reading* in Mutt the types of
messages I'm describing below.  The problem is *composing* them in Mutt.

I'd like to be able to compose a "multipart/alternative" message in Mutt.
For those not in the know, the multipart/alternative MIME message type
usually consists of at least two MIME message parts: a "text/plain" part
suitable for reading in text-only mail user agents such as Mutt or Pine, and
a "text/html" formatted message for GUI MUAs such as Outlook Express or
Netscape Mail.

So far, I'm able to compose a normal text message, then attach an HTML file
to represent the "rich" version of the message.  Unfortunately, Mutt, by
default, wants to send the entire message out as "multipart/mixed", which
doesn't do either my MUA of choice or the one 90% of Internetland uses any
good.

I've looked in the built-in help from the composition window.  There are
plenty of options on how to change the MIME type of an *attachment*, but
nothing that seems to be able to change the type of the overall message.
There is also an item that allows one to edit the headers of a message, but
this only seems to handle the very basic ones (i.e., subject, from, to,
etc.).

Maybe more recent versions of Mutt have this capability ... ?
would install it so I could find out.

Other than that, any tips?  Anyone?

And don't worry, my default emails will still be "text/plain" messages.
This is only for a newsletter where I've been asked to "prettify" the
contents.

Happy Anti-Hallmark day! :)