[ale] unusual amount of 'net attacks from .fr ?

Chris Ricker kaboom at gatech.edu
Fri Feb 14 11:53:14 EST 2003

On Thu, 13 Feb 2003, Christopher Bergeron wrote:

> --[PinePGP]--------------------------------------------------[begin]--
> Hey guys, over the past months (6-8) I've noticed a surge in the number
> of attempted "hack" attempts on my firewall originating from .fr
> domains.  Particularly   wanadoo.fr.  With all of the recent war
> discussions and the purported relationship between France and Iraqi oil;
> I'm wondering if there's a relationship...  Has anyone else noticed
> anything like this on their routers (I have multiple routers in
> completely different locales that have produced the same result).

wanadoo.fr is a big ISP in France (they're the ISP for the major French
phone company, I think). You will never get anywhere complaining
about any abuse from them, and they're notorious as both a spam source
and the source of attempted breakins. Your only real recourse is packet
filtering, though you will block most of France if you do....

later,
chris