[ale] KVM or alternative

Joe jknapka at earthlink.net
Thu Feb 13 22:07:37 EST 2003

Grady Harris <gharri2 at emory.edu> writes:

> Hey, y'all,
>
> I'm getting a second machine at home, where the space is scant & the
> wiring is not something I want to strain. I'd rather not get a second
> monitor, so I figure a KVM switch is the likeliest alternative. I've
> read through the discussions of KVM switches on the ALE list from last
> year & the previous, which have been real helpful to me, since I've
> never used a switch before.
>
> Since I suspect that such might be overkill just for two machines, I
> was wondering if anybody had suggestions for any alternatives, since
> none has occurred to me.

Don't get a cheap one. I made that mistake and fried the power
supply in one of my boxes. I don't know what the technospeak
term is, but you need one that will provide the proper kbd and
mouse electrical characteristics even when the switch is
switched away from a particular machine.

Cheers,

-- Joe Knapka