[ale] problems getting to some sites??

Michael H. Warfield mhw at wittsend.com
Fri Feb 14 00:07:18 EST 2003

Hey all...

On Thu, Feb 13, 2003 at 11:38:48PM -0500, Danny Cox wrote:
> On Thu, 2003-02-13 at 23:31, Michael H. Warfield wrote:
> > 	Currently have a rep on the phone right now.  Butt kicking has
> > commenced.  Has been told to escalate it to his NOC NOW.  I've given
> > him the traceroute information and quickly snowed him under in numbers.
> >
> > 	We'll see...  Report has been posted with an escalation note
> > for the NOC to call me back.
> >
> > 	Anyone else want to follow up.  The ATTBI service number
> > is 1-866-447-7333.
>
> 	Hmm.  What did you say, other than "escalate it to his NOC NOW!".  The
> lady I got pretty much stonewalled me, saying that there was no way I
> could talk to anyone at the NOC.  She was my only contact.

> 	Since I've already called, will someone else do the follow-up?
> Jeff?

	BTW...  There is another alternative...

	Seems that slashdot.org and freshmeat.net and sourceforge.net and
a whole lot more are all reachable via IPv6!  At least indirectly...

	Yup...  Just tack ".sixxs.org" to the end of the domain name
(slashdot.org becomes slashdot.org.sixxs.org) and you can now reach them
through an IPv6 to IPv4 proxy!  Works for me...  :-)

	General information is available at:  <http://ipv6gate.sixxs.net/>

	I'm on there now.  Turns out /. has an article about it right
now, thus creating a CLASSICAL catch-22 in that you had to get to their
site to find the magic bypass to get to their site through this AT&T
routing dustup.

	Opppsss...  Guess you have to be on IPv6 for that.  Doesn't work
at all if you are not on IPv6 (6Bone, v6 Internet, or 6to4).

	Time to set up that 6to4 tunnel on that Linux box and punch
right through them AT&T IPv4 routing problems.  :-)  Presuming their
routing problems don't FSCK up the route to the IPv6 anycast gateway.
And you don't need their permission to use those 65,000 * 4 billion * 4 billion
IPv6 addresses that are numerically associated with your single IPv4 address.

	With 6to4 there is NO excuse for a site not to be available over
IPv6 (but a pure 6to4 to 6to4 route would also be broken without this
proxy so no help there.  :-( ).  In time, even pure IPv6 sites will have
no less access than the reset of the lessor networks.  :-)  With this
proxy, we're getting there fast.

	IPv6 RULES!

	But I guess that's a future talk.

	Snicker...  Sorry to have a little fun when I just discovered a
new IPv6 resource on the net to play with.  :-)