[ale] KVM or alternative

cfowler cfowler at outpostsentinel.com
Thu Feb 13 14:27:25 EST 2003

On Thu, 2003-02-13 at 13:07, Jeff Hubbs wrote:
> I've sworn by (and not AT) the larger Cybex units and I know they make
> smaller four-way units that I expect should work just as well.
>
> It's just that I've had booting problems with the fare available at the
> likes of CompUSA (Linksys, Belkin) and to me that's just a showstopper.

This is mainly due to keyboard emulation issues.  If you have 4 machines
and the power goes off you may have problems booting back up.  The main
reason is the fact that even those devices support emulation, they can
not service more than say 2 systems at a time with that emulation.  So
if all 4 machines look for keyboard at once then the Belkin may have
issues servicing them at once.  Problem is that if you want to get away
from this problem, You have to spend a little dough.  Last week I demoed
a KVM IP device.  It hooked directly up to a KVM switch and converted
its Video, and PS/2 outputs to IP.  We demoed this device over the
internet.  We have DSL connection.  I was impressed with the speed.
I've tested other digital kvm boxes and were never impressed with
speed.  This device was amazing.  However it was also 3k so you can get
amazing stuff when you invest in good product.