[ale] kismet

Jonathan Rickman jonathan at xcorps.net
Wed Feb 12 10:54:02 EST 2003

On Wed, 12 Feb 2003, Hogg, Russell E wrote:

> -VPN is the best thing
> -Then use WEP (128)
> -Then MAC filtering
> -Then get rid of DHCP (make em work harder to get an IP)
> -Also you can use the correct antenna to limit your coverage area.  Remember
> that lots of people have better client antennas than you and there are 8
> watt 2.4 ghz amps out the floating around, but not many people have them in
> their cars.
> -Turn off BROADCAST if you can (some cards wont work without it)
> -Change your SSID to something that doesn't describe you (don't use your
> name or address or anything that could help a "social engineer"
> -make sure you change the default passwords to your AP.

Another thing that is commonly overlooked is making sure that the
individual cards themselves are not running in ad-hoc mode. I think that
once you get to a certain point in taking all these precautions, you have
to conclude that if the data is that important, it's not worth the trouble
to secure 802.11b.

--
Jonathan Rickman
X Corps Security