[ale] kimset

Jonathan Rickman jonathan at xcorps.net
Tue Feb 11 23:18:35 EST 2003

On 11 Feb 2003, Joe wrote:

> 100% agreed.
>
> I find it rather astonishing that there seems to be a large community
> of folks who find this kind of thing perfectly acceptable. Many of
> those people are no doubt outraged when they find hackers poking at
> their firewalls - and then they go out and break into someone else's
> wireless network???

A better technical analogy would be walking up to the side of someone's
house with a handset and a set of alligator clips and tapping into their
phone lines at the telco's CPE. Hey, they should have secured it with a
padlock, right? Taking it to the level of cracking WEP would be analagous
to picking the lock.

I find it astonishing that Christopher sent a PGP signed (read:
non-repudiation) message to a public mailing list discussing this activity
and apparently, albeit vaguely, implicating himself. No offense intended
(although some will no doubt be taken), but what were you thinking? Your
wlan card + some entity's logs + that message (archived for all eternity)
= kiss your rights goodbye, felon. Own firearms? Not anymore. Remember the
2000 election controversy? Your vote will NOT be counted. All for what?
The thrill of a broadband connection, if you're lucky? I'll pass.

But JR, you're making a mountain out of a molehill!!! Talk to Kevin
Mitnick about how long it took him to reach the summit of that molehill.

If I sound passionate about this, it's because I am. This sort of behavior
really pisses me off. Oh well, enough about it...I'm over it.

--
Jonathan Rickman
X Corps Security