[ale] Wireless LAN connection sharing

Stephen Touset stephen at touset.dyndns.org
Tue Feb 11 16:02:02 EST 2003

A few friends and I had the idea that we could set up directional (or
omnidirectional) antennas pointing to each others houses, so that we can
have not only a LAN between us, but also so that we can use each other's
DSL lines at the same time, assuming they aren't. It would be
decentralized, and there would be paths from each house to one to three
other houses, for redundancy and because of distance constraints.
We've been doing some research, but we figure that some actual experience
may help us do this. Has anyone ever set up something like this? Any
tidbits of information such as expected range, setup, costs, etc. would be
astronomically handy, and accepted with utmost gratitude.
Thanks in advance,
Stephen Touset