[ale] Monitor goes into sleep mode

Jason Day jasonday at worldnet.att.net
Mon Feb 10 12:58:22 EST 2003

On Mon, Feb 10, 2003 at 12:08:06PM -0500, Mike Millson wrote:
> Yes, xset -q did show that DPMS was enabled. When I did xset dpms off, I
> got a bunch of output that seemed to tell me it wanted xset -dpms
> instead of xset dpms off. I did xset -q afterwards and verified it's
> off. Strange how Gnome Control Center doesn't seem to have this. I guess
> newer version do.

My guess is that you don't have the xscreensaver package installed,
which is what gnome uses for its screen saver.  It is an interesting,
"feature", that gnome would apply dpms settings without giving the user
a way to change the settings, unless they install another package.  Of
course, I'm making wild assumptions here; it might not be gnome, but
something else.

As Dow suggested, you can put "xset -dpms" in your login script.  You
could also put it in your "Startup Programs" group in gnome
(Settings->Session->Session Properties & Startup Programs).

I'd also recommend you take a look at the man page for XF86Config, and
add the options there to disable DPMS.  Also, be aware that XFree86
version 4 and above uses XF86Config-4 for its config file, but it will
fall back to XF86Config if XF86Config-4 doesn't exist.

Jason
[snip]

    -- Weyoun-6, Star Trek: Deep Space 9