[ale] Re: OT: Looking for electrical parts?

John Mills johnmills at speakeasy.net
Sun Feb 9 19:39:33 EST 2003

Hi -

On Sun, 9 Feb 2003, Robert L. Harris wrote:

> I've checked Home Depot.  They don't have any timed electrical outlets
> that just turn off after X hours.  They have some for turn on at 5, off
> at 6, etc or some wall mount switches that are 1 hour or 12 hours which
> is likely what I'll use.

Have you looked at attic-fan controls at home depot? I think some of those
have 3-6 hr. ranges on a timer dial you set to turn on the power. They fit
in a standard wall-mount switch box, but you could take a double junction
box, populate one side with the timer switch and the other with a standard
dual receptacle running off the timer, and put the whole shebang on a
heavy-duty power cord. Wouldn't be waterproof but sounds like what you
may have had in mind. Turn it on for the desired time delay, go away, and
at the end of the interval it turns off (just before the neighbors call
the cops, is you set it right).

 John Mills
 john.m.mills at alum.mit.edu