[ale] when attempting to use ftape, floppy is accessed rather than parallel port device, huh ?.........

Courtney Thomas ccthomas at flash.net
Sun Feb 9 15:58:35 EST 2003

Thanks Jim.

I killed lpd and tried "mt -f /dev/nqft0 status" and still got "no such
device".

I don't have a printer attached to this machine.

pnpdump doesn't show port 0x378 at all, though dmesg does show parport
at 0x378.

How else can I tell if lpd is defined in some way to encumber lpt0 port ?

Again appreciatively,
Courtney

James P. Kinney III wrote:

> Does lpd have a printer defined to use the lpt0 port? That would start
> at boot up and claim the device so that the ftape device can't see the
> tape drive attached.
>
> On Sun, 2003-02-09 at 00:31, Courtney Thomas wrote:
>
>>Under RH7.2 [2.4.17] when I.........
>>
>>	mt -f /dev/nqft0 status
>>I get...............................
>>
>>	no such device
>>
>>I have an external Ditto Max Pro which worked under RH6.1 [2.2.12-20]
>>installed by cable to the only parallel port on this machine.
>>
>>I have compiled and installed ftape4.04a from source, as well as
>>ftape-tools.
>>
>>I load parport, paride, ftape, zftape and bpck modules before the mt
>>command.
>>
>>The parallel port is at 0x378 and irq 7.
>>
>>Thank you for helping,
>>
>>Courtney

dated 12/21/02,

".....we have a president purchased by corporations in a sham election
who has put those corporations in charge of their own regulation. A
string of corporate scandals has exposed the myth of shareholder
control....."

Mark Spohr	Tahoe City, Ca. [1/18/03]