[ale] Distro silliness

Geoffrey esoteric at 3times25.net
Sat Feb 8 22:34:14 EST 2003

ChangingLINKS.com wrote:
> I will take that bet. Say I get Linux (and Windows) running "perfectly" on a
> computer (with little hassle - not talking about incompatible hardware, but
> instead hardware where the drivers are included in the OS).
>
> At what point during a RedHat install can a user push a button that should
> warrant a crash?

Drew, I can not answer your question.  But, I must say that I find your
approach to installations a bit careless.  You've lost more then your
share of 'vital' data and continue to approach these processes with less
then the necessary concern.  That is why I recommended that you not look
into gentoo.  You must know what you're doing, you must properly
configure it, or you're screwed.

I have no idea why you've had the problems you've had with Red Hat.
Although I'm not a current user of Red Hat (two of my machines are RH,
but older versions), I find that they produce quite the quality product.
  They are the largest used distro in the business world here in the states.

There are quite a few reasons you could be having such problems, from an
improperly installed driver, to a hardware problem, to a heat problem,
whatever.

I too would like to see many distributions flourish.  That's why I've
'invested' recently in both SuSE and Mandrake.  I'm going with the
smaller guys because I want to see balance.

As for Debian, I did give it a spin once, but the initial install screen
looked too much like the negative of a newspaper.  Print everywhere, and
difficult to focus on.  I understand apt-get is it all, but I was not
able to get along with Debian long enougth to find that appreciation.

Slackware will always have a special place in my geeky heart.  I know
that it will bloody install on just about the most archaic hardware and
doesn't need a hard drive with 2 gig of space.  It's tight, sweet and clean.

Until later: Geoffrey		esoteric at 3times25.net

Think about it...