[ale] Distro silliness

John Wells jb at sourceillustrated.com
Sat Feb 8 17:28:54 EST 2003

ChangingLINKS.com said:
> I will take that bet. Say I get Linux (and Windows) running "perfectly"
> on a  computer (with little hassle - not talking about incompatible
> hardware, but  instead hardware where the drivers are included in the
> OS).

Not sure what you mean by the above, but I will tell you this:

By installing Suse successfully, you did nothing to disprove the assertion
that your problem was caused by faulty hardware (i.e., cdrom drive).  You
installed via the network...bypassing the need for a cd during the brunt
of the install.  As I mentioned earlier, you can do this just as easily
with Red Hat...in fact, you can install Red Hat with nothing more than a
floppy or two and a nic.

I suspect if you went that route (i.e., Red Hat via network), aside from
finding a server that isn't swamped, your install would go smoothly.

John