[ale] Q: ntpdate not finding servers from new RH-7.3 box

John Mills johnmills at speakeasy.net
Fri Feb 7 17:17:58 EST 2003

ALErs -

Subject pretty much says it: I set up a RH-7.3 system and whenever I try
to run 'ntpdate <ntpserverIP> ...' it reports something to the effect of
"No ntp server found". The IPs are ones I have used, or which I have good
reason to believe are NTP servers (for instance, my ISP says they are).

I imagine I have to either activate some port in my 'xinetd', or quit
blocking it at 'iptables'. How should I diagnose this?

TIA.

 John Mills
 john.m.mills at alum.mit.edu