[ale] Ranaming partitions and mount points

Michael D. Hirsch mhirsch at nubridges.com
Fri Feb 7 14:48:47 EST 2003

On Thursday 06 February 2003 11:27 am, db 2000 wrote:
> I am trying to install a hard drive from a dysfunctional Linux server
> into a functional one to get the data from the drive. However, the mount
> points are the same on both drives and that obviously won't work.

> I am thinking that I should rename the partitions and/or the mount
> points on the drive in question, but I don't know how. Does anyone know
> what I should do?

> The drive in question is functional hardware-wise, just something about
> the os seems to be corrupt and won't boot. It may have been hacked....
> anyway, all we need is the data from it. We already have another server
> ready to go.

> thanks!!

You problem may be that recent vresion of RedHat, at least, use the volume
name (e.g. "home") instead of the device name (e.g. "/dev/hda3") to
indicate what to mount.  This can make it tricky to mount a second drive
if the partition names are the same as on your first drive.

You could use e2label to give new labels to one of the drives' partitions.
Then mount won't get confused when you boot up with both drives installed.

Michael