[ale] OT - rant on computer cases

Vernard Martin vernard at cc.gatech.edu
Fri Feb 7 13:31:10 EST 2003

On Fri, 2003-02-07 at 13:10, Sims, Ted wrote:
> What's the with the stupid practice of putting doors on the front of the case so you can't get to your burner, etc.?

The value is that it doesn't actually look like a computer and therefore
is supposedly more aesthetically pleasing to the eye. I personally
prefer my computer to be as small as possible and innocuous so that all
you see is the display, keyboard and trackball. Wireless if possible.

> Why can't I get a grown-up looking case with a side case fan? Why are fan holes punched so small they restrict air flow?

You can. But you aren't going to get it for $29.95. Real cases with real
features cost $90+.

> Why are they pushing cases made out of aluminum, that are flimsy, noisy, and dent at the slightest impact?

You are getting the cheap ones. Take a look at the Lian Li aluminum
cases. They are sturdy, quiet and very well designed. They just aren't
cheap.

> Why do high-end cases have drive rails, when screws hold the drive more securely, with less vibration and noise?

High end cases like that are usually server based and its easier to use
rails to make it quicker to swap out bits.

> Why do they include fans that are so poor I throw them away often and get better ones?

Real cases don't come with fans at all. You order them separately so as
to be able to properly get them tuned for the equipment that it will
house.

> What's with the neon, clear side windows, and hot rod colors? I want to know, do they still make ATX cases for adults?

This is for the "leet haXor" dude types. Its aesthetic. Just something
different. Notice that neither HP nor Compaq make machines like this.
Its just for the crowd of folks that like their machine to not be
boring.

you can easily get what you want.

Vernard Martin (vernard at cc.gatech.edu)
http://www.cc.gatech.edu/~vernard/
Rules to live by: 1) Don't sweat the small stuff 2) Its all small stuff