[ale] OT: Dish Network setup

Mike Panetta ahuitzot at mindspring.com
Fri Feb 7 12:45:46 EST 2003

The way the satalite dish LNB works makes this impossible.  The coax not only carries the RF signal, but it also carries a voltage that serves 2 purposes, 1 is to power the LNB in the dish, the other is to select between the left hand and right hand circularly polarized signals coming down from the satalite, I think the voltages are somewhere around 14 volts for one polarization and 18v for the other (I do not remember the exact voltages, but they should not be to hard to find with a quick internet search).  So basicly if you connected 2 recievers up to one cable, you would short out the powersupply in one of the recievers.

What you need to do is replace the LNB on ONE of your dishes with a dual LNB, and get whats called a DSS Multiswitch, which has 2 (or 3 inputs, the 3rd would be for cableTV or an antenna) and from 4, up to 8 outputs (I have seen commertial units with 16 outputs, but they are real expensive).  What this box does is route the appropriate voltages to the appropriate half of the dual LNB such that each of the LNB's is always tuned to one of the polarizations.  It also places the RF signals from each of the 3 input sources on each of the 4 (or 8, or whatever) output jacks, so now each satallite reciever thinks it has its own dish.

If you want an example of what you can do, go to http://www.9thtee.com, they have all sorts of DSS and TiVO stuff.

Mike