[ale] Ranaming partitions and mount points

Joe jknapka at earthlink.net
Thu Feb 6 09:43:19 EST 2003

"db 2000" <db2000 at elon.edu> writes:

> I am trying to install a hard drive from a dysfunctional Linux
> server into a functional one to get the data from the
> drive. However, the mount points are the same on both drives and
> that obviously won't work.
>
> I am thinking that I should rename the partitions and/or the mount
> points on the drive in question, but I don't know how. Does anyone
> know what I should do?

The mount points don't get encoded on the drive; they're just whatever
you give as the second argument to "mount".  Just put the drive in the
new server and mount the existing partitions under some new, empty
directory. Let's say you install the drive as the secondary IDE
master, making it hdc:

$ mkdir /olddrive
$ mount /dev/hdc1 /olddrive

Now the first partition on the old drive is mounted as /olddrive.
You must, of course, supply an appropriate "-t <fstype>" option
to the mount command if the partition contains some filesystem
other than ext2/3.

HTH,

-- Joe Knapka