[ale] swap usage

Geoffrey esoteric at 3times25.net
Wed Feb 5 15:29:18 EST 2003

Benjie Godfrey wrote:

> On Wed, 2003-02-05 at 13:51, Geoffrey wrote:
>
>>Anyone know of a tool that can be used to identify swap usage
>>specifically.  That is, what programs are using the most swap at a
>>particular time.
>>

> you can use vmstat to gather info about memory usage over time.  I am
> not sure that a utility exists to do exactly what you are asking.  you
> would most likely want to monitor the pid as the program executes (
> using a utility like ps) and write that info to a file.  you could then
> try and determine the amount of time the program was in RAM versus
> swap.  why are you questioning swap usage?  are you trying to
> troubleshoot an application?

I think that at times, I've got wierd swap usage.  I've got .5 gig
memory, and there are some apps I use that will eat all that's left,
then go to swap.  When the app leaves, the swap is not reduced, ever.  I
would expect that eventually, the OS would figure out it doesn't need
all that swap in buffer, and would return it, but it does not.  Mozilla
appears to be one culprit.

I guess I just need to get another .5 gig of memory. :)

Until later: Geoffrey		esoteric at 3times25.net

Think about it...