[ale] swap usage

attriel attriel at d20boards.net
Wed Feb 5 15:12:25 EST 2003

> using a utility like ps) and write that info to a file.  you could then
> try and determine the amount of time the program was in RAM versus swap.
>  why are you questioning swap usage?  are you trying to
> troubleshoot an application?

I'm guessing he's trying to tune an app ...

Would any of the process accounting stuff in the kernel help?  I'd imagine
that you'd need to write some kind of kernel code to track it as it swaps,
since the kernels the one doing the swapping ...

not sure where or what or necessarily how to hook it, so the information
is useless :o  I know that the distributed memory gigs I studied all had
that kind of information, if it cared, collected by the distributor, since
"swapped" meant "on another machine" (since we ran out of words :o) the
system could track that ... but even most of those systems were
kernel-level rewrites, i think

--attriel, the not so helpful :)