[ale] swap usage

Benjie Godfrey bgodfrey at eros.layton-graphics.com
Wed Feb 5 15:08:09 EST 2003

On Wed, 2003-02-05 at 13:51, Geoffrey wrote:
> Anyone know of a tool that can be used to identify swap usage
> specifically.  That is, what programs are using the most swap at a
> particular time.

you can use vmstat to gather info about memory usage over time.  I am
not sure that a utility exists to do exactly what you are asking.  you
would most likely want to monitor the pid as the program executes (
using a utility like ps) and write that info to a file.  you could then
try and determine the amount of time the program was in RAM versus
swap.  why are you questioning swap usage?  are you trying to
troubleshoot an application?

Benjie
--
"There are only 2 kinds of hard drive, those that have failed, and those
that will fail."

James B. Godfrey
Systems Administrator
Layton Graphics, Inc.