[ale] TwinView stupid question

Geoffrey esoteric at 3times25.net
Wed Feb 5 11:49:41 EST 2003

Dow Hurst wrote:
> I've kept reading and it is pretty obvious once you get into real world
> examples that only two Nvidia cards can work as I'd asked in my previous
> post, but this was stated as unstable compared to using one Nvidia card
> alone.  So my next question is, since I'll be looking for an Nvidia card
> with multiple outputs, are there any Nvidia cards that have two 15pin
> CRT outputs?  Or do I have to get a DVI to SVGA converter, if that
> exists, from somewhere?  The TV output is only good for going to a TV
> with a NTSC type signal, correct?  Anyone care to explain in layman's
> terms how you actually hook up two monitors and/or a TV to one of these
> multi out Nvidia cards?  I want to understand what I have to do before I
> go a drop a bunch of money on a fancy smancy video card. ;-)

I don't have an nvidia card, but my radeon card has vga, digital and
s-video outputs.  As for needing two vga, my card came with an adapter
that converts the digital to accept vga, so I don't think that should be
a big issue.

I've not had any success (with X) doing as you've noted, two monitors to
two outputs on the same card.  When I boot my machine with two monitors
connected, both screens show the boot info and mirror the console output.

I know of folks who have had success with this card and other ati cards
that have dual outputs.  I've been planning on trying a quick SuSE
install just to test this scenario, but haven't made the time to do so.

Understand, you don't really need to spend a lot of bucks for a dual
output card, mine as around $100 when I got it, certainly cheaper now.
It's only got 32mb (only, I remember when that was a lot of system memory.)

> I've never bought a top of the line video card so am not too familiar
> with which brand is best for what I want to do.  Nvidia seems to have a
> bunch of different brands from third party manufacturers and it isn't
> easy to sort thru which is the best deal.  Also, here is my goal: 3D
> OpenGL hardware acceleration on at least one of two monitors in a
> multihead or Xinerama-like setup.  I believe that ATI can't do that and
> only Nvidia with Twinview can.  Is that correct?

3d is not supported  for dual monitors on XFree, although the
proprietary drivers for nvidia may well support it.  If so, then you're
likely to want a card with more memory.

You have to get a later version of XFree to get 3d to work with the
later ati cards at all.

Until later: Geoffrey		esoteric at 3times25.net

Think about it...